Sunday, August 31, 2008

there is no cure for cancer

today i freaked out at this poor lady just because she was hopeful.  

i'll let you all in on a little secret: there is no cure for cancer.  cancer is a very, very complex disease that has no one cure.  can a combination of new techniques make cancer an entirely curable disease? Yes.  But there is no cure for cancer.

back to the poor lady:  I went into sunglass hut because they sent me a 25$ gift card.  they are smart--when you buy something, they send you a gift card for 25$ knowing that there is nothing sub 150$ in their store and hoping that you will spend the other 125+ to buy a sweet new pair of shades.  so i compliment susan, the manager, on their strategy because i can admire that.

this was my mistake, because she talked to me for 40 minutes after that about her rare cancer, some jewish doctor in boston, turmeric (the indian spice she eats a lot of) and how i was important and should not get caught up in the system.  she didn't really know what she was talking about, but she asked me to wish her luck in her biopsy on thursday and to keep up my work and find the cure of cancer (in case she is wrong about the jewish doctor in boston who solved it).  i wished her good luck and looked up the stuff she wrote down on the back of her business card for me.  please wish susan good luck.

No comments: